First post of 2017, and only a few things going on. I've taken a break from the stormbird to do a couple easier small projects though I've been thinking about trying to get the landing gear completely built before I take a longer break from work in the big flier.
I built a few MK 3 Marines for 30k/40k including a plasma support squad.
I've also mostly wrapped up work on my first five custodes. I expect to have anywhere from five to fifteen more down the road. Still working on the blades of the weapons but I'm trying to mimic the effect the 'Eavy Metal has done, I may bud to mute the brightness a little but we'll see how they look once I add some crackling electricity.
Finally I've started making a few custom bases to match my existing DragonForce bases. These are for a couple Iron Hands Astartes and my 40k admech force. I'll have some pics of them soon.
I haven't made too much noticeable progress but have completed a couple tedious tasks that were outstanding.
The engine nozzles we're foremost in the list tedious items to build. Again, taking lessons Blackadder's Thunderhawk scratchbuild, I started with some generic Target brand mouthwash caps. After a little sanding I measured the cap into three segments and made a guide mark every third ridge of the cap. Then about a weeks' work of meticulous cutting and gluing of 1mm by 1mm styrene bar, first in half inch pieces down the length of the cap followed bending and wrapping with the same size styrene around the cap at the base of these half inch pieces. Yeah it was as tedious as it sounds.
I also added a cone to the inside of of the completed nozzle, just in case anyone looks in there. Eventually there will be some LED effects so this may be seen at that stage.
Finally, I was able to get the pivoting arm for the front landing gear built and integrated into the gear housing. There will need to be an arm that runs the length of the vehicle and ties into the rear gear so I can control it with one mechanical operation. Bearing in mind that this finicky piece may have problems down the road I decided to make it removable via screws. I built some recessed screw holes for the outside of the gear housing and wrapped the nuts with styrene so they could be glued in place with plastic glue on the inside of the Stormbird.
Not a lot to looks at but this stuff sure took a long time to get together. The next tedious task is to build the rear landing gear which will be a lot harder since I need to make the same components twice and keep things as exact as possible. Hopefully I'll have that and the final engines build before the new year.
I've made a little more progress on disembarkation ramp doors and the interior area that will be exposed once the doors are open.
I've also begun building the landing gear feet and hinged arms. Ultimately the landing gear will be servo controlled so I'm going to begin building the mechanical components that will raise and lower the gear. I want to have a single servo control the front and rear landing gear so I'm going to have to figure out a lever system to get a longer range of motion since the rear gear sits higher on the hull. I won't be adding electronics till most everything cosmetic is done but I've left enough room to run wires for servos and LEDs and I'll be managing the rods and gears to run everything now.
Once the landing gear is built completely I can work on the 4 ball turrets. They'll be the last big piece to build before I can do all the detailing and layering that will make this look like a finished model.
It's not technically Stormbird progress but also bought a cool Tamiya motorized hobby drill. It comes a a model kit that requires assembly but was a fun little side project as a break from plasticard fabricating. It'll probably be really useful when i start adding the fine details.
I hope to have another update in about a week once I have at least the front landing gear mechanics working..
I started a Thunderhawk scratch build a while back out of a desire to have a fun project and end up with a super heavy for the odd Apocalypse game. I never had a real love affair with the Forgeworld Thunderhawk kit but thought this would be a good opportunity to make some scale and detail improvements along the way. However with the relatively recent release of the Sokar Pattern Stormbird I've decided to pivot and make my flyer into a different pattern of Stormbird. Mine will share all the important details that Forgeworld's has but I'm going give it a shape that I personally will like a little more. So far I've built out the basic hull, some of the engine components, wings that attach via magnetic system, and I've started on the side disembarkation ramps. As with any project like this it's begun to spiral and I'm sure I'll need to take a few months off soon but for now I've been building at a pretty intense pace.
Here's a photo dump of the work I've done so far.
These are the starting points for the secondary intakes on the engines, I'll be building four engines with slightly varying details for two of them.
I've mocked up the new wing shape here.
These are the mounts for the two engines on top of the fuselage. I decided to encase them in a boxy shroud sort of like the Storm Raven.
Here's a mock up of the engine shroud along with other unfinished engine components.
I've cut out a section on either side of the hull for the large ramps.
Here are the open and closed states of the ramps. I'll be doing a small amount of interior detail here as well as magnetizing the doors so they'll stay shut without any mechanism to hold them.
These are the intakes made out of some baby food caps and too much free time.
Here's the secondary intake mocked up on the wing, there will be one on the bottom as well when things are finalized.
And finally here's the rough state of things at the moment. I'll be cranking away on this during my vacation next week so hopefully I'll make a little more progress soon.