Labels

Iron Hands Space Marines 40k painting dark angels Grey Knights Tau Scratchbuild Infinity NOVA Open Dreadnoughts WIP terrain librarian Deathwing airbrush dark eldar Infinity the game warhammer 30k Malifaux Xenos greenstuff hobby plasticard space marine terminator zenithal Adepticon Ariadna Autocannon Haqqislam Imperial Guard Interrogator-Chaplain Lion's Blade Mathhammer Rifleman Stormbird Titan army building bases battle company battle report counts-as force weapons master of the forge tactics 3d printing 6th Edition Age of Sigmar Apocalypse Blood Angels Chaos Da Boyz GT Grotesques Landspeeder OSL Orks Razorback Resin Casting Scouts Scratch build Shapeways arbites codex review eldar fantasy high elves inquisition molds review 40k BBQ AoS Astra Militarum BBQ Battleground Bikes Black Knights Blood of Kittens Cadre Fireblade Capital Palette Clash Comp Comp Deathwing Knights Display Board Doubles Dreamforge Eisenkern Elysian Emperor's Children Escalation F.A.T. Mat Fallen Hoffman Horus Heresy Land Raider Crusader Lysander MDF Mig weathering powder 40k Onslaught GT Pathfinders Praetor Predator Riptide Space Wolves Stormraven Stronghold Assault Techmarine Teddy Typhoon Veterans Vulkan Warriors of Chaos archon astartes bike chaos marines color scheme custodes dark angels codex dark angels list forgeworld genestealer cults gesso hurricane bolters infinity kazak ariadna lakes land raider landspeeders laser cut marines mega battle miracles. object source lighting photography ponds rhno superheavy techmarine. thunderhawk tigurius wet-blend

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Valkyries, A lifetime achievement award

I've been playing with half painted Valkyries for months now and recently decided to take action. Since we all know that painted models perform better on the table I had to finish the job. This isn't a tutorial but I took a few pics along the way so I'm going just mention my progress.

Here is a shot of one of the valks following the initial Tamiya "rattlecan" basecoat from around Christmas time.


Since then I've used sponges from blister packs to apply a chipping effect.




After I had completed the chipping I applied a glosscoat to the model and used oil paints to wash areas filling in cracks and rivets. Following that I did some streaking giving the whole model a weathered look and creating a sense of movement.




In this picture you can see the difference between the Valkyrie with the oil paint (right) and the one without (left). Oils can work well to fill in all of the crevices on a model but they work best on a gloss surface.


The next step was to mix some "Future" acrylic floor polish with GW brown ink and airbrush it onto spots of the model sparingly. This makes certain areas (engines, hatches, etc.) look like they have oil or fuel spills and leaks. The Future gives it a very realistic sheen and really allows it to flow naturally. After the future was dry I airbrushed a bit thinned black paint onto and behind the engines to show exhaust stains. I did the same on the small fin that sits behind the engines and on the small wing tip engines as well.








So their you have it, Valkyries very nearly completed. Plenty more to get done before the NOVA open. Next on the docket, Tanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment