Labels

Iron Hands Space Marines 40k painting dark angels Grey Knights Tau Scratchbuild Infinity NOVA Open Dreadnoughts WIP terrain librarian Deathwing airbrush dark eldar Infinity the game warhammer 30k Malifaux Xenos greenstuff hobby plasticard space marine terminator zenithal Adepticon Ariadna Autocannon Haqqislam Imperial Guard Interrogator-Chaplain Lion's Blade Mathhammer Rifleman Stormbird Titan army building bases battle company battle report counts-as force weapons master of the forge tactics 3d printing 6th Edition Age of Sigmar Apocalypse Blood Angels Chaos Da Boyz GT Grotesques Landspeeder OSL Orks Razorback Resin Casting Scouts Scratch build Shapeways arbites codex review eldar fantasy high elves inquisition molds review 40k BBQ AoS Astra Militarum BBQ Battleground Bikes Black Knights Blood of Kittens Cadre Fireblade Capital Palette Clash Comp Comp Deathwing Knights Display Board Doubles Dreamforge Eisenkern Elysian Emperor's Children Escalation F.A.T. Mat Fallen Hoffman Horus Heresy Land Raider Crusader Lysander MDF Mig weathering powder 40k Onslaught GT Pathfinders Praetor Predator Riptide Space Wolves Stormraven Stronghold Assault Techmarine Teddy Typhoon Veterans Vulkan Warriors of Chaos archon astartes bike chaos marines color scheme custodes dark angels codex dark angels list forgeworld genestealer cults gesso hurricane bolters infinity kazak ariadna lakes land raider landspeeders laser cut marines mega battle miracles. object source lighting photography ponds rhno superheavy techmarine. thunderhawk tigurius wet-blend

Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!

I have been remiss in my posting duties for the last month or so, but I am back with a vengeance:

First of all, I have made a concerted effort to paint up my tactical marines, and have completed ONE WHOLE SQUAD.  I know, its impressive, 10 space marines in two months, but hold your applause; I also painted one additional sergeant.  In my defense, I have been spending an inordinate amount of time with zenithal highlighting/shading, and trying to perfect my wet-blending techniques.  This results in an average paint time of 12 hours per marine, usually over the course of three days or so.

I started out with the Henry Ford process--an assembly line that cranked out finished, but uniform, models--but wasn't really satisfied with the result.  I slowly added more and more wet-blending, and was eventually forced to reconcile the fact that if I am to be happy with the outcome, I need to paint each model as well as I possibly can.

The dearth of highlighting on models in the back 
transformed into an inordinate abundance by the time I 
made it to the fellas up front.





As you can see I've also been experimenting with battle damage, mostly on shoulder pads--usually to cover up imperfect decals.

Moving on...

I received a fantastic present for christmas from family and girlfriend; I am now the proud owner of an impressive Harder & Steenbeck Infinity airbrush (and amazingly silent Iwata compressor), so I'm experimenting on something I don't use very much (but depending on how they come out, maybe I'll start).

Arms are all magnetized on these guys so they can be 
switched to lightning claws

Graveyard earth base-coat for what will eventually be 
bleached bone Deathwing termies 

...and since I started on those guys, I thought I might need this:


And then, on a whim, I decided to use some spare parts to put together some objective markers:

From left to right: teleport homer with servo skull, 
decorative holy book and stand, las cannon-based 
searchlight, and field communication set up.
So that's it for now...  well, actually, there is one more thing.  All this work has been focused by a secret and insidious goal for 2011:

The shape of things to come...

1 comment:

  1. Love the objective markers! Especially the book, may have to copy that... can't wait to see the Dark Eldar.

    ReplyDelete