Labels

Iron Hands Space Marines 40k painting dark angels Grey Knights Tau Scratchbuild Infinity NOVA Open Dreadnoughts WIP terrain librarian Deathwing airbrush dark eldar Infinity the game warhammer 30k Malifaux Xenos greenstuff hobby plasticard space marine terminator zenithal Adepticon Ariadna Autocannon Haqqislam Imperial Guard Interrogator-Chaplain Lion's Blade Mathhammer Rifleman Stormbird Titan army building bases battle company battle report counts-as force weapons master of the forge tactics 3d printing 6th Edition Age of Sigmar Apocalypse Blood Angels Chaos Da Boyz GT Grotesques Landspeeder OSL Orks Razorback Resin Casting Scouts Scratch build Shapeways arbites codex review eldar fantasy high elves inquisition molds review 40k BBQ AoS Astra Militarum BBQ Battleground Bikes Black Knights Blood of Kittens Cadre Fireblade Capital Palette Clash Comp Comp Deathwing Knights Display Board Doubles Dreamforge Eisenkern Elysian Emperor's Children Escalation F.A.T. Mat Fallen Hoffman Horus Heresy Land Raider Crusader Lysander MDF Mig weathering powder 40k Onslaught GT Pathfinders Praetor Predator Riptide Space Wolves Stormraven Stronghold Assault Techmarine Teddy Typhoon Veterans Vulkan Warriors of Chaos archon astartes bike chaos marines color scheme custodes dark angels codex dark angels list forgeworld genestealer cults gesso hurricane bolters infinity kazak ariadna lakes land raider landspeeders laser cut marines mega battle miracles. object source lighting photography ponds rhno superheavy techmarine. thunderhawk tigurius wet-blend

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thine arms shall be forged in resin - Part 2

A while back I had my first run at trying to make some resin casts of scratch built autocannon arms for my Dreadnoughts (check out the previous post). I was very optimistic but had less than impressive results.

This was the first box for the mould

This was the result, worse than finecast.

This time I built the mould use the proper technique, covering a half of the arm in clay and pouring latex on top of the clay half. Then, I remove the clay and poured the other half of the mould. I followed this tutorial from War Frog's Hobby Blog where he does a much cleaner and more precise job, but nonetheless here are my results from the second try.

Here you can see that the mould wasn't quite right resulting in some barrels that are malformed.

The new resin arms covered in flash.



The final product is satisfactory but by no means perfect. They required a metric shit ton of sanding and greenstuff filling. All but one needed to have the muzzles rebuilt using plasticard tubing as well.


I definitely want to make another mould and try again having learned from my recent mistakes. I think the key is how the item is placed in the mould and making sure the vents are large enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment